Live by the Word . . .

Here I post deep thoughts, moral ruminations and ethical conundrums for my own benefit and for the benefit of those who may wander by.

My Photo
Name:

I'm a PhD candidate working in early Medieval literature. I'm also a husband and dad to three of the greatest kids in the world. Enjoy what's here.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Readers of the World Unite

I just discoverd that my mom has a blog on her website (www.shirleybahlmann.com). In looking over her postings, I discovered one that drove home a point that I think even my mom missed.
She talks about using a piece of toilet paper as a bookmark in one of her many books she has in progress at the time. A person next to her noticed and snickered. After explaining herself, sort of, Mommer comments that the other, in her fashionable clothing, must use a metal clip bookmark designed for that very purpose. The truth is that most likely the other woman doesn't read much.
One of the signs of a true reader is the constant change in what we use as bookmarks. I've used TP, 'cause hey, when you're in the can, it's readily available. I've use important receipts, pieces of envelope, movie ticket stubs, rubber bands, playing cards, etc. The truth is, when you're a reader and you need to take a break, you use what's there. If you can't find the bookmark you just had, find something else. When you read to read, it's not the thing that marks your place, it's the place itself that is important.
In truth, even the cover isn't all encompassing, though I must admit there is something infinitely more appealing to a hard-bound book when compared to its paperback counterpart, but that's something a little different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home