Live by the Word . . .

Here I post deep thoughts, moral ruminations and ethical conundrums for my own benefit and for the benefit of those who may wander by.

My Photo
Name:

I'm a PhD candidate working in early Medieval literature. I'm also a husband and dad to three of the greatest kids in the world. Enjoy what's here.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

To Begin--Sort of

I thought it may be beneficial for those who stumble upon this site to have some background on myself. I'm a graduate in English from Southern Utah University who is in the process of frantically waiting to hear from the graduate programs that I have applied to. My interests lie along the lines of very old texts--the kind that we have to read in translation, even though it's supposed to be english (pre-Chaucer), and fantasy lit. I ahve also recently discovered that I may enjoy narratology and plan on looking into that.
I got married in 2001; had my first child, a boy, two days after our first anniversary; and had a daughter in 2004. There are ups and downs with this, but I wouldn't change my family for anything.
Thus far, I am following the example of Rae, who refers to her family as letters (which creates some interesting sign/signifier issues). Anyway, I have been asked to run an errand, so I must go for now, but I may add some later.

3 Comments:

Blogger r said...

Thanks for the reference, and glad I could stimulate some serious consideration of the sign=signifier/signified. I am, of course, only this semester familiar with these terms. So, because I know them, I don't feel you to be a a word poseur ;)

9:11 AM  
Blogger r said...

I had forgotten that I use even my initial for Blogger. Heh.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Perhaps, then, I overstepped my bounds when I used Rae? Whenever issues of personal privacy appear, there seems to be the paranoid "Big Brother" approach, and the who even cares that people know all about me (including my children and body size). Who is right? I really couldn't say myself, yet.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home